"Here is one of my favorite light recipes," says Stephanie Land of Sudbury, Ontario. With zip from cumin and red pepper flakes, the spicy Southwestern dish is a hearty meal-in-one.
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, combine the green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce and black beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p59
Reviews for Black Bean Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2015
"Wasn't one of my favorites I have made. Was hoping for more flavor..."
Reviewed Apr. 10, 2010
"I'll add this to my short list of delicious meals I can fix when I don't have much time. For a gluten-free meal, I served this over brown rice instead of pasta."