- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the next 10 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
"Family loves this. I use tomatoes with green chilies to give it some kick."
"This was good. I used steak instead of turkey and added chipotle powder. It was a nice change from our usual chili recipe."
"Husband says it's a keeper! I found this when looking for a different recipe for my leftover Thanksgiving turkey . I used leftover mashed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin, subbed white beans (great northern) since i didn't have black beans on hand, and my canned diced tomatoes included green chilies. It was delicious!"
"wow! wow! Wow! "Winner winner turkey dinner"!"
"Excellent recipe! The ingredients are surprising but meld perfectly. The pumpkin adds to the flavor and texture but is not really detectable, which we liked. This recipe is easy, inexpensive and my family loved it. I will be making this regularly. I made it with leftover turkey as directed this time, but will try with ground turkey at other times of the year. The only modifications I made were to use a red bell pepper because that is what I had, and I added a little black pepper."
"I leave out the meat to make it meatless. Excellent recipe."
"I've made this in the past and it's always good. It's nutritious and easily edible by children."
"This is one of my favorite soups for fall winter. Sometimes I use rotisserie chicken instead or leave out the meat all together. Works great divided up in freezer bags and taken for lunch ."
"One of our favorites! Freezes well too!"
"So delicious!! Had it not been for all the great reviews, I might have just passed on this recipe - so glad I didn't! The only changes I made were to increase the salt and add a little pepper. I also used red peppers instead of yellow and chicken instead of turkey, since that is what I had on hand. My whole family loved this, and my kids didn't even suspect there was pumpkin in it. This is so much healthier than my other chili - I will definitely be making this on a regular basis! And FYI, this is even better the next day."