- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. If desired, top with avocado and green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili
Sort By :
"Wonderful. I used chicken instead of turkey and fresh parsley instead of dried."
"Loved this ! I used ground pork because I had it. You can probably use any ground or shredded meat. I added a 1/2 cup of salsa and a little more chili powder. I will add another can of pumpkin next time and a couple jalapenos. Toss a little grated cheese on top.Definitely a keeper !!"
"Yum! We enjoyed this very much. I used 99% lean ground turkey breast instead of the cubed cooked turkey, but made no other changes. Don't worry if you (like my husband) aren't a big fan of pumpkin -- you really can't taste it at all; it just adds fiber and nutrients, and helps to thicken the chili. Bonus for Weight Watchers followers: A generous serving is very low in points and very filling. Try it!"
"This is a simple and good tasting chili!"
"Really good, tastes like a southwestern chili, will make again!"