- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- Crushed dried red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces, one 29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef with onions until the beef is brown and the onions are tender; drain. Stir in spices and tomato sauce.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Combine flour and vinegar; stir into chili. Simmer another 15 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Best Homemade Chili
"I live in Texas and we love our chili. Having misplaced my "go to" recipe I found this "award winning" recipe. There are several problems with this recipe, in my opinion. 1. There isn't a spec of salt so it has a very flat taste. 2. The recipe is a tad misleading in saying "1 can (15 oz and 29 oz) tomato sauce". Why not say TWO cans in the first place? 3. The chili was dry. As in needing liquid. 4. The amount of onions is too much. Waaaay to much.I make my chili in a crock pot. After browning the meat, I toss everything else in the crock pot. I chopped 2 medium onions, added the rest of the ingredients. I also added chipotle chili powder instead of pepper flakes. Stirred. Added about 16oz of water to give it the ability to simmer. Tasted. No salt. Added a tsp. or so of salt. Tasted again. Onion. All I can taste is onion. Recipe calls for "2 large onions". I used medium. Still entirely too much. I spent the next half hour picking onions out of the crock pot. I am SOOO glad I didn't cook them with the hamburger. I would have had onion chili. The flavor profile itself was good. Unless you are a huge fan of onions, go easy on them."
"My husband and two boys both love this recipe! My oldest son asks for it on the regular basis. I love finding recipes that my entire family not only agrees on but enjoys:-)"
"LOVED this recipe! My husband surprised me and decided to make dinner, but he is not a fan of beans. So he found this. He added some green bell peppers and corn. INCREDIBLE! I am going to be making it for a family get together this week and we just had it two weeks ago. So yummy! Thanks!"