Beet Cake Recipe
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
- Beat into creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Beet Cake(7)
Sort By :
Great way to use extra beets! Delicious, moist cake, not too much beet flavor while eating, but there is a beet aftertaste.
I'm curious if canned/jarred beets would work just as well??
Even my kids happily eat beets when prepared this way! Very moist and delicious.
Moist, very good. I used 1 large, dark chocolate candy bar. Next time, I would use 1-1/2 to 2 candy bars, or add some extra chocolate chips. I steamed the beets for 30 minutes, peeled and pureed them while still hot. Worked well