Chocolate Beet Cake
The first time I baked this cake, my son loved its moistness, and he couldn't taste the beets.—Peggy Van Arsdale, Crosswicks, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup grated peeled uncooked beets (about 2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dash salt
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a small bowl, toss beets with lemon juice; set aside. In a bowl, beat the eggs, butter, milk, honey and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in beet mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat the cream cheese, cream and vanilla until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar and salt. Spread over cooled cake. If desired, sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Beet Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.