Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
- Beat into creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 211 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 11, 2016
I added orange zest into it and it tasted great! Very moist and yummy. No one noticed the beets
Jan 31, 2015
Surprisingly good, fluffy and moist. There is a faint beet taste, which I wasn't expecting. I was thinking it was more like desserts that use zucchini which adds moisture but not the vegetable flavor. It served it's purpose to get rid of extra beets I had.
Sep 21, 2013
Jul 22, 2012
Great way to use extra beets! Delicious, moist cake, not too much beet flavor while eating, but there is a beet aftertaste.
Feb 23, 2012
I'm curious if canned/jarred beets would work just as well??
Aug 11, 2011
Even my kids happily eat beets when prepared this way! Very moist and delicious.
Jul 18, 2010
This cake exceeded all of my expectations. I am not a fan of beets, but we receive several from our co-op every week. I tried this cake and couldn't taste the beets in it. Even my husband, a chocoholic, loved it!
Jun 30, 2010
I'm curious as to why there are strawberries, not beets, in the picture? :)