- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup amber beer
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in the milk, beer and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese, fontina cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese until melted. Add chives.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Top with crumbled bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Beer Macaroni & Cheese
Sort By :
"I think this macaroni had really good flavors. I do think it got a bit grainy like someone else mentioned; I ended up with chunks of powder throughout it that did not dissolve and I believe this is because the recipe calls for too much flour. I think it would have been perfect with half or a third the amount of flour listed. I also think melting the butter on medium high was too hot. In spite of this, it turned out pretty well and I would make it again."
"I did follow the recipe to the letter. My teenage daughters really liked this dish. I think because they liked the the thought of beer in it. I found it too dry and prefer my mac and cheese creamier. It also seemed like it was missing something. My husband was not satisfied with the dish either."
"We loved it - bacon, beer & cheese, how could it not be great. I would make extra sauce next time for on the side and for leftovers."
"I highly enjoyed this but recommend trying it with sauteed chopped jalapeños to balence out the beer flavor."
"This was just OK. I like my regular Mac and cheese recipe better."