- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare barley according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the beans, corn, red pepper, onions and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Bean & Barley Salad
Sort By :
"I was looking for something vegan, that had good flavor and a good protein source and this fit the bill!! We don't really like the kidney beans, so we increased the amount of black beans and corn, and it was perfect for us. Will definitely make this again"
"I don't know why it took me so long to make this recipe, but I'm glad that I finally did. It was super easy and my family really enjoyed it. I substituted pinto beans for black beans (it's what I had on hand) and it was very yummy. We had it as a side dish, but it would be very good as a chip topper/dip like other reviewers suggested. Will try that next time!!!"
"This is the BEST.. so full of flavor.. last for days in fridge.. soooo good"
"So yummy, and healthy, too!"