- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in pears.
- Spoon into two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 mini loaves (8 slices each).
Reviews for Autumn Pear Bread
Sort By :
"Very delicious bread. I was worried as the batter was so dry I thought I had left something out, but with all the butter it baked up nicely. We're not fans of nutmeg so I substituted cinnamon. I too baked one loaf in a larger pan for 50-55 minutes. This one's a keeper!"
"I made it in an 8x4 pan and it was a nice size. I loved the slightly crunchy crust. We made it with Asian pears. I liked it, but my husband prefers zucchini bread to this."
"Tasty but I would have put it all in one dish as the loaves were very thin (~1" thick)."
"Tip - a pastry tool would help cut this together better."
"Actually I didn't make this bread yet, but I aim to try it! Collecting quick bread recipes and testing them out is my forte! Dawn E. Lowenstein"