Pears give these little loaves delicious flavor and help keep them nice and moist. They're great to wrap up in plastic wrap and give as gifts. —Mary Lynn Wilson, Linden, Texas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in pears.
- Spoon into two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 mini loaves (8 slices each).
Originally published as Autumn Pear Bread in Country Woman September/October 1996, p32
Reviews for Autumn Pear Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review