Autumn Chowder Recipe
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium red potato, cubed
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Chowder(20)
Sort By :
When making this soup,I doubled the recipe. I did not have bacon, so I used bacon bits ( real ) in a jar, and saute them in 1 tbl . of veg. oil. I also added chopped celery and carrots with onion and saute in bacon oil. then I added it to potatoes to boil. I also doubled water , to use less milk. instead of flour, cornstarch was handy.turned out very good !
Very Good; used Chicken Broth instead
This turned out to be more of a soup consistency rather than chowder. If you want a thicker chowder like potato soup I would recommend adding a little more flour. I also thought the chowder needed a little more flavor so I added more cheese and a little bit of cayenne pepper. Turned out great.
I added mixed veggies as well as corn. Very good!
Incredible soup! This was not too hard to make and was really good cold-weather comfort food. I added more salt just before serving.