Au Gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles Recipe
These cheesy potatoes would be quite popular at holiday meals or potlucks. I like to serve it with my holiday ham.Cathy Rau, Newport, Oregon
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the chilies, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic powder, pepper sauce and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, arrange half of the potatoes and cheese sauce. Repeat (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Au Gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p43
Reviews for Au Gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review