- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
"This is a great bread. A cross between a bread & a cake. I'm a recipe follower the first try and would not change anything. I covered the bread with plastic wrap and the top got mushy after a few days. Does anyone have a tip for storing this bread?"
"This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist."
"Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection."
"I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either."
"Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much"