- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
"This is a great bread. A cross between a bread & a cake. I'm a recipe follower the first try and would not change anything. I covered the bread with plastic wrap and the top got mushy after a few days. Does anyone have a tip for storing this bread?"
"This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist."
"Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection."
"I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either."
"Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much"
"The cake is delicious, it does not reveal its lower fat ingredients at all! A moist, apple- ful cake with a tender crumb. The topping, although simple, really elevates it. When I've been out of whole wheat flour, I have used all white with still excellent results. Everyone I've given this to has enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I will try flavoured applesauces next for variety."
"These are very tasty!"
"This is an excellent recipe for a lower fat version. It had great texture and great flavor. I used 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I loved the brown sugar/cinnamon topping. This baked so nicely. It is going in my keeper file for sure!"
"This bread has a wonderful moist texture, especially considering that it's on the lower side for fat and sugar. The top part of the loaf is especially good with the topping. My family all enjoys this bread, and it's part of my regular rotation."
"moist and delicious, tastes decadent even though its healthier, I added 2 tbsp flax seed to recipe, upped nutritional but taste and texture were wonderful."