- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened (batter will be stiff). Fold in apples.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Mix glaze ingredients; drizzle over tops. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Streusel Muffins
"Great recipe! Family loves these muffins- no need for glaze- perfect as is thanks for sharing"
"These apple muffins are dense and moist - more like pound cake than a muffin. You can really taste the butter. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon to the batter and skipped the glaze. I received many compliments on these muffins."
"I have made these a number of times. They are very good."
"These are one fantastic muffin. I added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. 1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg and 1 tsp. cinnamon extract to the muffin batter-that added a nice flavor note with the apples. I didn't glaze them because I knew I would be putting some in the freezer. They were delicious even without the glaze-so nice and tender and the streusel added the perfect crunch to the top. Thank you Dulcy for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Light & full of flavor."
"These muffins came out delicious..the whole family loved them. They're a great way to get kids to eat apples. I did add pecans to a few."
"This is a family favorite. We never make the glaze. I use frozen apples if I do not have fresh."
"Great without the glaze. I used Rome apples, my favorite baking apples."
"I made the muffins without the glaze and they were amazing. I would call them mini coffee cakes, so dense and moist from the apples. I will try them with nuts next time. I love finding new apple recipes, I am crazy for apples."
"Very good! I would make half the amount of glaze next time - it was a little excessive. Otherwise, very moist and flavorful and just the right amount of sweetness."