- 1/4 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh rosemary
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup apple jelly, warmed
- Combine sage and rosemary. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub herbs under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Stuff turkey with apple, onion and celery. Brush with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Brush with apple jelly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before removing toothpicks and carving. Yield: 14 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Apple & Herb Roasted Turkey
Sort By :
"I made this again this year, and it was still a favorite."
"Ok folks. This is, by far, the BEST turkey I have ever made! It is so juicy and with that little hint of apple, it is OH SO GOOD!!!"
"Made this for Christmas Eve dinner. It was wonderful. The herbs under the skin flavored the breast meat which I usually find bland and dry. I also tucked in a few small chunks of butter with the minced herbs to keep the breast meat moist. The gravy I made from the drippings was very flavorful. I used turkey stock that I had made from the neck, tail and giblets, as well as an onion cut into quarters and a couple of stalks of coarsely chopped celery. I also added about a fourth cup of white wine to the gravy. Delicious! This will be our new family recipe for turkey, especially since my husband doesn't like stuffing cooked inside the bird. Thank you for sharing."
"Deeelicious ! thanks so much for sharing"
"This is soooo good it should be declared Illegal! Too bad we only have 5 stars."