Happy Orange Turkey
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1-1/2 cups Champagne
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Finely grate peel from oranges. Cut the fruit into wedges. Combine softened butter and orange peel. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub butter mixture under the skin.
- Pat turkey dry. Combine the garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Drizzle with melted butter. Place the oranges, onion, rosemary and thyme inside the cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place oven bag in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, in bag. Pour Champagne and orange juice over turkey. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Nov 24, 2017
Best turkey I ever made! I used this recipe last minute because I wanted to put oranges inside my turkey so I searched for that type of recipe. I didn't read the recipe that well before starting and didn't realize I needed a cooking bag or champagne. Then I even forgot to pour orange juice over the top. Instead I basted as it cooked. It still came out excellent. The turkey was so tender and tasty. I made gravy with the drippings and that turned out great as well. I am keeping this recipe to use for years to come!
Dec 25, 2015
This turkey was simply perfect! I didn't use an oven bag and substituted cooking sherry for the champagne. I dressed up the turkey but placing orange slices on the top. The gravy made from the drippings was amazing. This is a definite keeper!I made lemony green beans (TOH recipe) to go with this turkey. Awesome!
Nov 22, 2014
This will be my third year making this recipe! Family loves it! Easy to do and smells great! Nice change to herb only flavored turkey.
Jan 27, 2013
We had leftover Moscato from the holidays, so I decided to try this recipe with a 7 lb. roasting chicken. YUM! I cut the recipe in half and did not use the flour or roasting bag. I just basted a lot instead. My husband can't wait for me to make it again!
Nov 22, 2012
I made this for Thanksgiving dinner. It came out super moist and literally fell off the bones. The drippings made an excellent and unique gravy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.