- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese spread
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gradually add buttermilk, applesauce, carrots, zucchini and vanilla. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until sugar is dissolved. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, marshmallow creme, orange juice and vanilla just until combined. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forZucchini Carrot Spice Cake
"I made this cake yesterday. The directions say add sugar 1 tbls. at a time to beaten egg whites. That was a lot of sugar to beat in. It made my egg whites drop. Also said to add vanilla to icing, but it wasn't listed in ingredients. All in all the cake was good. Next time I will add about 6 tbls. of sugar to egg whites and the rest to cake batter."
"A friend gave me a bunch of zucchini from her garden so I've been using them creatively. I took this cake to a get-together and it was the most raved about dish! In high altitude I can't always get my cakes to stay moist, but this was moist and the only adjustment I made was adding a bit of the orange juice to the cake mixture."
"Fabulous !!! I left out nutmeg and added 1/2 cup chopped raisinslove the new frosting, so much lighter than just plain cream cheese frosting."