When the weather outside is frightful, these smiley guys are so delightful. And they really know how to celebrate the season. Let it snow! —Shannon Roum, Cudahy, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup white sprinkles
- 3/4 cup blue decorating icing
- 1/4 cup black decorating icing
- 36 candy eyes
- Additional sprinkles and candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until light brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread cookies with vanilla frosting and decorate with sprinkles. Add face, hands and feet with blue icing; add mouth with black icing. Use additional sprinkles for teeth; add eyes. If desired, add additional sprinkles or candies for decoration.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic and place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze undecorated cookies in airtight freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 345 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cutout Christmas Cookies in Holiday Cookies & Candies 2018