Worth Every Penne
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, pesto, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the spinach, chicken and tomatoes; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta; place in a large serving bowl. Add the chicken mixture, tomatoes and pesto mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 422 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 519mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 23, 2012
It was a good recipe but won't make again. Tasted like I poured italian dressing over it. Just wasn't worth the effort for me.
Mar 17, 2012
Excellent recipe. My version of this recipe was a little different. I used 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings as my recipe called for the addition of 4 slices of sodium reduced bacon. I would keep the bacon but switch up the bacon drippings in my recipe for the olive oil in this version, much healtheir!!
Dec 21, 2010
This was very good. The only difference I did was to use regular tomatoes as I did not have any cherry tomatoes.
Nov 21, 2010
Good pasta recipe (I used whole wheat) with lots of vegies. Filling and healthy.
Apr 28, 2010
It tastes wonderful, it is healthy and easy to make. Can serve room temperature or hot.
Apr 22, 2010
This penne salad is very good to eat and one my family makes when we have all the ingredients. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box.