Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the carrots just until crisp-tender; drain. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add carrots and stir until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 3-4 hours.
- Serve cold as a salad, or warm it and use as a side dish. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 144 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 7, 2018
This TOH Field Editor LOVES this recipe! I had to make it with balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce but otherwise, it's ALMOST true to its original. The flavor is wonderful warm or cold and tasted better a couple of days after I made it. I am looking forward to sharing this with my international friends on Friday night. What a great way to use a lot of carrots! I spiralized mine for the fun of it. I think the liquid would be a wonderful addition to many vegetables including beets!
May 17, 2013
I made this two weeks ago and it was delicious. I am making it again today to take to a pot luck dinner.
Mar 4, 2011
Family did not like the vinegar, will need to cut back next time. Served warm also used tomato soup.
Mar 30, 2008
I have made this receipe several times. I use the can carrots,(4) drain the juice. I use tomato soup instead of the tomato juice.Also you can use, white or brown vinegar. It still tastes great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.