VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 ounces) large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Orange frosting
- Chocolate jimmies
- Black rope licorice
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter on high for about 45 seconds. Add marshmallows; stir to coat. Microwave on high 45 seconds longer or until smooth. Stir in peanut butter. Immediately add cereal; stir gently until coated. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and shortening on 70% power for 1 minute. Heat in 10- to 20- second intervals until melted; stir until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Cool completely.
- Cut into 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. triangles, with a thin base on bottom of triangle for hat brim. Decorate with frosting, jimmies for the buckle and licorice for the brim. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Witch Hat Treats in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p239