Winning Cream of Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- In a another saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the milk, bouillon, reserved cooking liquid and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 232 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 24, 2018
The only change I made was I blended some of the completed soup, so the cream base had small chunks of asparagus mixed in. Soup was delicious and easy.
Mar 31, 2018
We liked it ok, but felt it was a little bland. Some of the suggestions below (like topping with cheese) might help with the depth of flavor, so we'd try that if we made it again. We really liked how tender the asparagus turned out, but overall think this recipe seems more like a base for a larger soup with potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and corn.
Mar 21, 2018
This soup is the best asparagus soup I've ever had! Just the right amount of everything. I made it once and now my family begs me to make it again. Even my daughter's friends ask me to make it!!! I just love it!
Mar 15, 2017
I sure understand why this is called Winning soup, because I am addicted! I first made a small batch of this when I was sick with pneumonia and really didn't want the porkchops I made for my husband and son, and OMG I fell in love. So I made it again the next day. That time I added parm on top, the next I added a cup of cooked rice. All awesome. If I could give it 10 stars I would! My whole family loves it too.
Oct 26, 2015
Made it today. It was delicious. Thank you so much. Will definitely make again for those cold winter days coming soon.
Jul 8, 2015
I made this for my husband and he loved it. The only think I did differently was to thicken it a little more with cornstarch so he could put it on toast. That is his favorite way to eat asparagus. I will definitely make this again for him.
Feb 13, 2015
On the bland side, I was looking for something rich, I think I would do four cups chicken broth and two cups of cream instead, I'll continue my search.
Jun 23, 2014
AWESOME!!! Reminds me of the asparagus soup we got in Iceland.
Oct 20, 2013
This recipe was simple and delicious! I skipped the first step and just let the asparagus simmer a little longer and used vegetable bouillon instead, the end result was very tasty. I'll definitely be making this again.
Oct 12, 2013
I actually blended this to hide the chunks of asparagus from my kids who at times can be picky eaters. I also did not have green onions so, I substituted with part of a yellow onion.. Itworked like a charm and they loved it!!! Very delicious!!!