- 4 cups fresh asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut in 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup very finely diced green onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup water (plus cooking liquid)
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- Cook asparagus in 1 cup water until tender-crisp. Drain, reserving liquid. Saute onion in butter until transparent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, 1 cup water, reserved liquid and bouillon granules. Cook, stirring with wire whisk, until mixture is thickened and hot. Stir in asparagus. Heat through and serve. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forWinning Cream of Asparagus Soup
"I sure understand why this is called Winning soup, because I am addicted! I first made a small batch of this when I was sick with pneumonia and really didn't want the porkchops I made for my husband and son, and OMG I fell in love. So I made it again the next day. That time I added parm on top, the next I added a cup of cooked rice. All awesome. If I could give it 10 stars I would! My whole family loves it too."
"Made it today. It was delicious. Thank you so much. Will definitely make again for those cold winter days coming soon."
"I made this for my husband and he loved it. The only think I did differently was to thicken it a little more with cornstarch so he could put it on toast. That is his favorite way to eat asparagus. I will definitely make this again for him."
"On the bland side, I was looking for something rich, I think I would do four cups chicken broth and two cups of cream instead, I'll continue my search."
"AWESOME!!! Reminds me of the asparagus soup we got in Iceland."
"This recipe was simple and delicious! I skipped the first step and just let the asparagus simmer a little longer and used vegetable bouillon instead, the end result was very tasty. I'll definitely be making this again."
"I actually blended this to hide the chunks of asparagus from my kids who at times can be picky eaters. I also did not have green onions so, I substituted with part of a yellow onion.. Itworked like a charm and they loved it!!! Very delicious!!!"
"This was a really great recipe. Due to health in my family, I had to cut out the salt and I used Mrs. Dash Herb & Garlic seasoning...quite a bit actually, 2 T but it was still great. I forgot...I did put half of mine in the food processor to "thicken" it a little because I used skim milk...not my favorite but the way life is"
"Excellent! I followed the recipe without changes. We loved the pieces of asparagus in the soup! This is a keeper!"
"This recipe has the best bechamel sauce; I have been searching for years. From this I can make any cream sauce that I can include in most recipes.This is an outstanding soup."