- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse rice; drain. In a medium saucepan, combine rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large kettle, cook onion, celery and carrots in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Blend in flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in cream, rosemary and salt. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 qts).
Reviews forWild Rice Soup
"This recipe is a good start, but as has been mentioned in other comments, it was pretty bland and watery as is. I changed things up a little the next time and it's awesome! I doubled the rice and cut back on the water to 3 cups. Also doubled the veggies. Added 2 cups cut up rotisserie chicken. and 1 tsp of McCormick Tuscan seasoning in place of the Rosemary. Comfort food perfection!"
"This is a delicious recipe! The only reason why my husband and I are giving it 4 stars is because we thought that it was in need of more rice and veggies. This was a perfect, meatless dinner, however!We doubled the amount of rice and added more vegetables. We also added chicken later on. It was pretty runny, but thickened up really well the next day. Delicious recipe!"
"Had this recipe sitting around for quite some time and finally tried it last night. The only thing I would change is adding more rice. I will try making it with a full cup of rice and maybe add a clove, or two, of garlic next time. This was easy and delicious!"
"This was delish. ! I have made this several times. !!!!!"
"This was pretty yummy. I used fresh rosemary and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I thought it could be a little more chunky. Next time, I will use more rice and vegetables."
"It's not that it's bland, but that it tastes like heated up, salted half-and-half. I added a little pepper but it wasn't enough to save it."
"I'm sorry I thought this was very bland, not enough rice, no flavor. Wont' make it again."
"We added fresh mushrooms and my family loved it! Next time I will add more rice though."
"Delicious! I added shredded chicken too and will try it with mushrooms next time."