- 6 medium sweet red peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut and discard tops from red peppers; remove seeds. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium heat; saute zucchini, yellow squash, onion and green pepper until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add spinach and garlic; cook and stir until wilted, 1 minute. Stir in cooked beef, rice, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and salt.
- Place red peppers in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Fill with meat mixture. Bake, covered, until peppers are tender, 35-40 minutes. Top with provolone cheese; bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 5 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forVegetable & Beef Stuffed Red Peppers
"I substituted chopped fresh mushrooms for the spinach, no problem. You may want additional salt and sauce."
"Made this for my family. Everyone loved these stuffed peppers, even the little kids! Thank you for sharing your recipe."