Turkey Bolognese Polenta Nests
This delicious appetizer combines two of my favorite foods, polenta and bolognese meat sauce, uniting them into one incredibly tasty bite! —Lidia Haddadian, Pasadena, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 24 mini muffin cups with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 3 cups chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from sides of pan, 15-20 minutes (mixture will be very thick). Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, cream, salt and pepper. Spoon 2 tablespoons polenta mixture into each mini muffin cup. As polenta cools, press an indentation in center of each with the end of the wooden spoon handle to create a nest shape. Set aside. Wipe out pan.
- In same saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add turkey; saute until no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning and remaining chicken stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Fill each polenta indention with about 2 teaspoons turkey mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake until edges are golden, 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven; cool at least 10 minutes before removing from muffin cups. May be refrigerated or frozen for later use.
Test Kitchen tips