Szechuan Sugar Snap Peas
Simple seasonings transform crisp, sweet sugar snap peas into an unbeatable side dish your family will favor. Chopped walnuts can be used in place of the cashews.—Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup salted cashew halves
- In a Dutch oven, saute peas in peanut oil and sesame oil until crisp-tender. Add the onions, orange zest, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes; saute 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cashews just before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 107 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Szechuan Sugar Snap Peas in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011