The slightly sweet, slightly tart flavors of fresh rhubarb, strawberries—and a hint of citrus—shine through in every bite of this springtime spin on traditional applesauce.—Samantha Shupe, Ogden, Utah
Recommended: 32 Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Combine apples and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rhubarb, strawberries, orange juice, sugar and orange peel.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until desired consistency. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Strawberry-Rhubarb Applesauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p158