Stir-Fry for One
Whenever I ask my husband what he'd like for dinner, this is what he requests. I double the recipe so that I can enjoy it with him. He thinks this rivals the stir-fries served in many restaurants.—Margery Bryan, Moses Lake, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup cauliflowerets
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced green or sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced cabbage
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine the first four ingredients; add beef and turn to coat. Seal or cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- In a skillet or wok, stir-fry broccoli and cauliflower in oil until vegetables begin to soften. Add beef and marinade; cook on medium-high for 3 minutes. Add green pepper, cabbage and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add onions. Combine broth and cornstarch until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Stir-Fry for One in Taste of Home April/May 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.