Steamed Mussels with Peppers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional clam juice
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread baguette, sliced, optional
- Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the clam juice, wine, red pepper, green onions, oregano and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels open. Discard bay leaf and any unopened mussels. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with baguette slices if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts12 each: 293 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 931mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 4, 2017
My husband's word, Incredible! I have been doing steamed mussels for years and this is great. I am looking forward to make this again when all the kids and grandkids are here. Janet. VFE