Steak Strips with Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 3/4 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 4 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and celery
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Sprinkle steak with pepper. In a small skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup, broth and vegetables; pour over steak. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in egg and milk just until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto meat mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Cover and cook on high until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while cooking), about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 506 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 1372mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 49g protein.
Feb 7, 2019
I made this for my 9 and 12 year old and they loved it and asked for me to make it again. I made some changes due to what I had on hand...used cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of onions and celery seed (no chopped green pepper or celery). Like a previous reviewer said, I wish it was a bit thicker, but still very good!
Sep 26, 2017
Made two days ago. Perfect for a cold day & just the right size for an empty nester. I am making this at least once a month. So good, so easy. Thank you John for the recipe.
Sep 19, 2012
My husband loved it. Was a perfect amount for two.
Oct 2, 2009
Delicious meal, the whole family loved the gravy/sauce in this dish. I was a tiny bit disappointed that it wasn't thicker, but that is something easy to adjust on it's own. Even though the recipe is for 2 I multiplied everything by 4 and it served my entire family, 7 people. Thanks for the great recipe.