Macaroons are a timeless treat and a family favorite in our house. These merry morsels are always the first to disappear from the cookie tray. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 cups sweetened shredded coconut (22 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green candied cherries
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Add vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. In another bowl, combine coconut, cherries and flour; stir into egg white mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Stained Glass Cherry Macaroons in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p42