- 3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened instant tea
- 3/4 cup vanilla powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- Whipped cream
- In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients; cover and process until powdery. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- To prepare 1 serving: Dissolve 3 tablespoons of mix in 3/4 cup of boiling water; stir well. Dollop with whipped cream if desired. Yield: about 5 cups mix (26 servings).
Reviews forSpiced Chai Mix
"This is a great snowy day drink! I just used a little more nutmeg and cinnamon because I love those flavors a lot, but the recipe, as is, is DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing!"
"Used real lowfat milk and chai tea bags, really good"
"Can you substitute something in place of sugar like stevia if so how much ?"
"Have been making it for years and love it!"
"This tasted pretty good, but the cardamom is a little pricey. The worst thing about this recipe is that the powdered milk would not dissolve. There was always a glob of it in the bottom of the cup even when I stirred it the entire time I was drinking. If they could improve powdered milk, I would love this recipe."
"Love it!! For those of you asking about unsweetened instant tea - it took me awhile but I found it in one of my local Wal-Marts. I used it all up but think it was Nestea brand but could have been Lipton. Not all of my local Wal-Marts had it but keep looking. Hopefully you will find it. My husband uses the instant tea for making use Russian Tea and now I will use it for this Chai recipe."
"can't find unsweetened instant tea--can anyone help?"
"I'm thinking you could leave the sugar out & use a sweetened mix. One without lemon. I was looking on-line to see if I could find a brand, but I'm not coming up with one."
"I am struggling to find the unsweetened instant tea... can there be a substitution?"
"This is very tasty! My sis-in-law and I love it. It is great as is, but to make it a little healthier, we cut the sugar down & replace half or more of the sugar with Splenda. You could experiment with that - to get the combo that works best for your taste buds. Now we don't feel so guilty drinking this yummy hot drink. I'm thinking a splash of bourbon or rum on a wintery chilly night might also be an idea...."