Snowflake Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- In a blender, process tomatoes, one can at a time, until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the oregano and sugar. Add a small amount of hot tomato mixture to whipping cream; return all to the saucepan. Cook until slightly thickened (do not boil).
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; fill with sour cream. Pipe a snowflake on each bowl of soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 116 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 7, 2017
This is one me my favorite soups and so easy!!
Jan 5, 2013
This was a mix review my husbund did not like it and I had mixed feelings on it. I did think it was good not great. It never thinkend up the sour cream just went to the bottom. I was a little disapointed because I was going to write happy birthday in it. It never made a snow flake it sank too. I think I will go back to my old recipe it was much better.
Apr 26, 2012
I was in the mood for tomato soup and short on time when I found this one. It was ready in 30 minutes! I agree with another reviewer that it does need jazzed up a little flavor-wise. I added garlic salt, pepper, and dried basil. Fresh minced garlic would probably be good as well. I will be making this again because it is fast and a good base to add in seasonings to your own taste. Love the snowflake idea to make it pretty!
Oct 11, 2010
Why would anyone change this recipe and then rate it so low??? It is wonderful just the way it is. Very comforting.
Feb 11, 2010
Made several changes. used an extra can of chicken broth to make more soup. Also sauteed a medium onion ,chopped adding it to tomato mixture. Added 12 tsp baking soda to tomatos before simmering them, big difference in taste. simmered soup with a bay leaf , didnt add oregano , sour cream or whipping cream. the soup came out great!