Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2-1/4 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- Hot cooked couscous
- Place the chicken, onion and carrots in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, garlic, salt, cinnamon and pepper; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in apricots. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker; heat though. Serve with couscous. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with couscous.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 279 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit.
Nov 10, 2017
Nice unique flavor. I thought it needed just a little more spice, but haven’t decided what.
May 10, 2016
LOVED this recipe. It was so easy and very tasty! My husband didn't even mind the couscous underneath (he's not a fan). The cinnamon is the secret ingredient and makes the house smell wonderful while it's cooking.
Mar 12, 2016
This was very good...I didn't realize until I was starting the 'shred' process that I had used boneless thighs...would the bones have added to the flavor?? I also didn't realize until I opened the bag that my apricots expired in 2014 so I used golden raisins instead. I served over mashed potatoes. I enjoyed this and it was nice to come home to something that was almost ready.
Apr 4, 2015
This was great. Whole family enjoyed it. I followed the recipe and did not feel that it needed to be adjusted. This has plenty of flavor as is.
Nov 11, 2013
My daughter and I love this stew. I don't feel it is bland. It is very filling and healthy. We look forward to it when fall rolls around.
Aug 27, 2013
This was delicious. It had a unique flavor. I served it over rice. In place of regular salt, I used half onion salt and half garlic salt for more flavor. I also added two chicken bouillon cubes for more flavor. I substituted apples for apricots since my apple tree is loaded.
Jan 3, 2013
I have made this recipe for my family MANY times since I found it! It's economical to make with the chicken thighs - I had never cooked with them before and thought I might not like them, I was sooo wrong! It's delicious and my boys (13 & 16) get excited when they come home from school and find this dish in the crockpot. It's also diet-friendly, low-calorie and satisfying. We love this crock-pot meal!
Jan 3, 2013
Great recipe!! I've made it a few times and served over brown rice:) I agree that it needs a bit of extra seasoning so I just add a bit of "this and that"...so delicious on a cold day; also freezes well. Yum!!
Dec 7, 2011
This was very good. I added a can of diced tomatoes to add a little more color. I also added the 1/4 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder as someone suggested. The apricots give this dish a very good flavor. Will definitely make again.
Nov 16, 2011
I thought this stew was rather bland.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.