Slow-Cooked Vegetable Curry
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets (about 8 ounces)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Lime wedges
- Plain yogurt, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until soft and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and spices; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Mash 1 can of beans until smooth; add to slow cooker. Stir in remaining beans, vegetables, broth, coconut milk, pepper and salt.
- Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice, lime wedges and, if desired, yogurt.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups curry: 304 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 25, 2018
Yummy and warming!
Oct 1, 2017
Very yummy! Most of my slow cooker recipes involve meat so it was a nice change of pace to have something vegetable-heavy. I felt like it made a really large batch...luckily curry makes good leftovers!