Slow-Cooked Vegetable Curry
I love the fuss-free nature of the slow cooker, but I don't want to sacrifice flavor for convenience. This cozy, spiced-up dish has both. —Susan Smith, Mead, Washington
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets (about 8 ounces)
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked brown rice
- Lime wedges
- Plain yogurt, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until soft and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and spices; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Mash 1 can of beans until smooth; add to slow cooker. Stir in remaining beans, vegetables, broth, coconut milk, pepper and salt.
- Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 5-6 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice, lime wedges and, if desired, yogurt.
Health Tip: Chickpeas are a smart way to add a dose of protein to a meatless main. They are also a good source of fiber, folate and vitamin B6.
Where's the curry powder? Curry is actually a blend of spices like those used in this dish. The curry powder you see in grocery stores is actually a pre-mixed spice blend.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups curry: 304 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 12g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Curry in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Sep 25, 2018
Yummy and warming!
Oct 1, 2017
Very yummy! Most of my slow cooker recipes involve meat so it was a nice change of pace to have something vegetable-heavy. I felt like it made a really large batch...luckily curry makes good leftovers!