Slow-Cooked Orange Chipotle Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Grated orange zest
- Place first five ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Place chicken and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with juice mixture. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 165°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Spoon over chicken; top with orange zest.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1/4 cup sauce: 246 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Feb 22, 2018
I left out the chipotle pepper because certain members of my family can't handle the spice. This dish was so easy to make and I loved how it used a slow cooker. The less time I have to spend preparing a meal the better! Chicken turned out so moist.
Jan 11, 2018
Family approved, easy, and healthy. Great dish!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.