Slow-Cooked Orange Chipotle Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Grated orange zest
- Place first five ingredients in a blender; cover and process until blended.
- Place chicken and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with juice mixture. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads at least 165°, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Spoon over chicken; top with orange zest.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1/4 cup sauce: 246 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Feb 22, 2018
I left out the chipotle pepper because certain members of my family can't handle the spice. This dish was so easy to make and I loved how it used a slow cooker. The less time I have to spend preparing a meal the better! Chicken turned out so moist.
Jan 11, 2018
Family approved, easy, and healthy. Great dish!