Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan.
- Stir in hash browns. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until bottom is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn potatoes. With the back of a spoon, make 8 evenly spaced wells in potato mixture. Break 1 egg into each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until eggs are set and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand until cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Mar 16, 2020
My eggs broke so I ended up tossing it all together but it was just as delicious. It’s almost as good reheated, which breakfast foods usually aren’t.
Mar 3, 2020
This was really good! We used sweet potatoes for a healthier version.
Mar 2, 2020
Irene, Honey, The bacon and onions are already in the pan, just taking out most of the oil before adding the potatoes.
Jan 20, 2020
Winner, winner, winner.
Jan 19, 2020
You forgot to add the bacon and onions.
Dec 21, 2019
I made this and put salsa and avocado on top after. It was delicious, and the family loved it.
Sep 25, 2019
I make this frequently! It's amazing!
Aug 27, 2019
Yum! I love reading the comments...my daily amusement. Some folks treat the recipe like a legal document. In my mind a recipe is a suggested guide. Life is too short and too much fun to live it with underwear in a bunch. ??????
Jul 14, 2019
Very good but I ended up cooking eggs to long as they ended up with yolk cooked through.
Apr 20, 2019
only one suggestion, in lieu of shredded hash browns, I use Southern Style O'Brien Hash Browns with Onions