- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- Cream cheese frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Frost if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forRosy Rhubarb Cupcakes
"I tried this recipe twice because I really wanted it to work. Very disappointing. No problems with sticking or leavening but the texture is too dense and the overwhelming flavor is of flour. I feel like I wasted my ingredients. I usually trust Taste of Home, this is not a palatable recipe. I wish the site would let me post zero stars."
"very different to make cupcakes with rhubarb. Came out moist and delicious and mine rose well enough and no problem with sticking to pan but I use silicone baking cups sprayed with Pam"
"found a better recipe"
"Did not rise stuck to pan. Husband says not enough rhubarb taste. It was ok for a cupcake and was nice and moist."
"Delicious just as written! I did make some cream cheese frosting for them but topping them with a dusting of confectionary sugar would be fine. I will be making them often this season and perhaps next winter with frozen rhubarb."
"I have been learning to read the reviews first before trying. What I really appreciate is that the Taste of Home Kitchen retested to make something turn out better. Much obliged to you! I just bought some fresh rhubarb and the stalks are huge. I do admit I need strawberries in with them as I still can't take the whole taste of rhubarb. Happy Cooking/baking ladies!"
"Just a nice recipe. I added some cinnamon. The cream cheese frosting made it delicious!"
"After reading some of the comments here, we have retested this recipe and made some slight modifications. We have decreased the regular sugar to 1/4 cup and adjusted the leavening to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. These changes resulted in a better product.We apologize for any inconvenience.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"Great recipe. Slightly flat on top but delicious. Just right without the topping. Mine were done about 3-4 min early. Next time will put about 2 cups of Rhubarb."
"Taste great - not overly sweet which makes you want more."