Rawhide’s Whiskey Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 package spice cake mix with pudding (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 300°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan.
- Combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes; fold in 1 cup nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 60-65 minutes. Cool in pan.
- For glaze, mix all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Cool 3 minutes. Pour one-third of glaze over top of cake, allowing some to flow over sides. Let stand 1 hour. Remove from pan to cool completely; cover.
- The next day, reheat glaze; brush half over cake, cooling before covering. Repeat the following day, using remaining glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 400 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely a WOW cake. I was asked to bring a dessert to a whiskey tasting party and found this one. It does take 3 days to make so plan ahead but it's well worth the wait. This is very strongly flavored with whiskey, perfect for what I wanted. I'm going to try it again using brandy for Christmas.
Feb 15, 2017
Excellent whiskey flavor. Recipe should state in big bold letters it takes THREE days to make. The glaze did not seep into the cake at all but hardened right away. Maybe I boiled too long? The glaze tasted OK but I was thinking it would permeate and soak into the cake. My cake fell on one side. Is 300 degrees too low? It wasn't a pretty cake but it was tasty. Going to tweak it and try again!
Jan 12, 2017
Phew, this cake had a very intense whiskey flavor. Even our drinking friends said the flavor was too much. Fun to try, but won't be making again.
Dec 22, 2016
Moist and delicious!! Made this for a holiday treat at work. It was gone very quickly!!
Dec 16, 2016
If there were more than five stars to give, I would give this recipe more than five stars!Yes, it takes a day and a half to make, but the result is something beautiful and delicious, which stays moist even when cut -- if you can resist gobbling it up, it will stay perfect for several days!It's not alcoholic when served, but the whiskey flavor is dramatic.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.