Quick Golden Squash Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/2 quarts)
- 5 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, saute leeks in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is tender, 10-15 minutes . Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process squash mixture in small batches until smooth; return all to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; stir until soup is heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 294 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Dec 6, 2018
Very good soup. I made it just as it says except I substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream. Quite simple to make.
Oct 20, 2011
I lighten it up by using light butter, reduced fat cheddar, & fat free sour cream, and it is still delicious!! Plus, it makes my house smell like Thanksgiving when it's cooking. :)
Aug 31, 2011
Excellent and easy squash soup recipe. Instead of leeks I substituted chopped onion, and also I used a buttercup squash instead of butternut. I had roasted the squash ahead of time and was looking for something to make with it. I find that roasting saves all the peeling and chopping. I omitted the cheese and froze the soup for a later meal and will add the cheese at that point, but to be honest it's wonderful without it too.
Feb 18, 2010
Very easy to make and very flavorful without needing salt. I did use ground white pepper instead of regular pepper.