Pressure-Cooker Eggs in Purgatory
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (18 ounces) polenta, sliced and warmed, optional
- Place the first 8 ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 4 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Press cancel.
- Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Add tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With the back of a spoon, make 4 wells in sauce. Break an egg into each well; sprinkle with cheese. Cover (do not lock lid). Simmer until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. If desired, serve with polenta.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 255 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 676mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
Jul 23, 2019
Tried this on a whim one morning and happened to have all the ingredients on hand. I didn’t realize until I had started that it was for an electric pressure cooker, which I do not have. So I modified it for a regular pressure cooker and really I think you could also modify for just a regular pot if you need to. It turned out very good! The sauce to egg ratio seemed off but that’s ok because we are saving the leftover sauce to use for something else. My husband was excited because it reminded him of tomato gravy and wants to eat it over biscuits. I would reduce the red pepper flakes if you don’t want it spicy...had a bit of a kick. Really pleased I found this recipe!
May 22, 2019
Absolutely amazing, best thing I’ve ever had in my life, 10 out of 10 would recommend!!!!