Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a pressure cooker, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove roast. Add cooking rack; place roast on rack. Add 4 cups of water. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook for 40 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)
- Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Remove meat and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a bowl; skim fat. Remove rack from cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, pan juices and remaining water to cooker. Cover securely; return cooker to full pressure. Reduce heat; cook for 8 minutes.
- Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 filled pita half: 566 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 391mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 18, 2015
This is a pot roast (not a stew), with that being said, it is a great recipe. Made exactly by the recipe except for cooking time. I thought 40 min. for a 2 bound roast was a bit long so I cooked it for 25 min. and it came out fall apart tender. This is a keeper.
Mar 30, 2010
I'd call this a pot roast, not a stew. Also, the minimum size of the pressure cooker would be appreciated.
May 31, 2009
can you can in a pressure cooker. It is an 8 qt.