Pressure-Cooker Beef and Veggie Sloppy Joes
Because I’m always looking for ways to serve my family healthy and delicious food, I started experimenting with my go-to veggies and ground beef. I came up with this favorite that my kids actually request! —Megan Niebuhr, Yakima WA
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; adjust for medium heat. Cook beef until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Return to pressure cooker. Press cancel. Add carrots, summer squash, zucchini, red pepper, tomatoes, onion, ketchup, water, basil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper (do not stir).
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Stir in molasses. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef mixture on buns. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.