Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze
My neighbor gave me this recipe, and I love that it makes two loaves. We usually eat one and then give the other away or freeze it for later. The glaze complements the bread perfectly. —Heather Frese, Albany, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, butter flavoring and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 190 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Poppy Seed Bread in Country Woman October/November 2008