Poached Egg Buddha Bowls
I love cooking for my husband and this is the first dish of the year that we enjoy out in our back yard. I often include fresh peas and cherry tomatoes, halved. —Amy McDonough, Carlton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 3/4 cup wheat berries
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced Greek olives
- 2 large eggs
- Additional olive oil and pepper, optional
- Place wheat berries and 2-1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, about 1 hour. Drain; transfer to a bowl. Cool slightly.
- Stir in oil, lemon juice, mint, salt and pepper; divide between 2 bowls. Top with tomatoes, ricotta cheese and olives.
- To poach egg, place 1/2 cup water in a small microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Break an egg into water. Microwave, covered, on high 1 minute. Microwave in 10-second intervals until white is set and yolk begins to thicken; let stand 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer egg to 1 of the bowls. Repeat. If desired, drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with more pepper.
Test Kitchen tips