Poached Egg Buddha Bowls
I love cooking for my husband and this is the first dish of the year that we enjoy out in our back yard. I often include fresh peas and cherry tomatoes, halved. —Amy McDonough, Carlton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 3/4 cup wheat berries
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced Greek olives
- 2 large eggs
- Additional olive oil and pepper, optional
- Place wheat berries and 2-1/2 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, about 1 hour. Drain; transfer to a bowl. Cool slightly.
- Stir in oil, lemon juice, mint, salt and pepper; divide between 2 bowls. Top with tomatoes, ricotta cheese and olives.
- To poach egg, place 1/2 cup water in a small microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Break an egg into water. Microwave, covered, on high 1 minute. Microwave in 10-second intervals until white is set and yolk begins to thicken; let stand 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer egg to one of the bowls. Repeat. If desired, drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with more pepper.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 526 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 10g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Farro bowls w mint peas ricotta w a poached egg in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.