Plum Orange Jam
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Process: 5 min.
- 10 cups chopped plums (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a Dutch oven, combine plums and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5-7 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, orange zest and cinnamon; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into 10 hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 50 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Jul 28, 2016
The directions never say when to add the grated orange peel or the cinnamon. I made this and the jam is runny. I don't know if I should eat it or not. Should the process time be 10 min instead of 5 min?
Aug 22, 2015
I added rhubarb and it turned out sooooo good!