This delicious cake is one of my own invention. It's been a huge hit among family and friends and even inspired fierce bidding at a local charity auction! —Greta Kirby, Carthage, Tennessee
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package white or yellow cake mix, regular size
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, pineapple juice, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a large saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks, butter and pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Reserve 1/3 cup pineapple mixture for frosting; gently stir nuts into remaining pineapple mixture.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer.
- For frosting, cream butter, confectioners' sugar, reserved pineapple mixture and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over top and sides of cake. If desired, chop and toast additional nuts; sprinkle on top and around bottom of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Pineapple & Macadamia Nut Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p181