This fun take on classic pigs in a blanket wraps up pork-and-beef logs in from-scratch pastry dough. Bet you can't eat just one! Cyndi Fynaardt, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Recommended: 20 Ways to Make Hot Dogs Even More Fun
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 10 crushed Zwieback or Holland rusks (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1-3/4 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- Dijon mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into three portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, combine the Zwieback crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3-in. logs.
- On a floured surface, knead one portion of dough 8-10 times. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter. Place one log in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Place on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mustard if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pigs in a Blanket in Taste of Home August/September 2008, p30
Reviews forPigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2012
"I found them to have alot of flavor"
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2008 Edited Jul. 27, 2010
"The flaky dough is excellent -- instead of making the meat logs, I use three (10-link) packages of Brown & Serve turkey sausage from the freezer section. These are delicious!"