Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Dough
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 2 slices process American cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in milk and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, shortening, salt, remaining sugar and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cut a 1/4-in.-deep lengthwise slit in each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into five strips; place one strip in a slit of each hot dog.
- Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions. Roll each into a 5-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle and wrap around prepared hot dogs; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheets; let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 20, 2019
OMG This is the best bread. I've made it for Kolaches and also tried flatbread pizza with it. Amazing!!!!!
Jun 14, 2014
Loved this recipe. I made the dough on the dough cycle of my bread machine. Delicious bread, much better than store-bought hot dog buns!
Oct 16, 2013
My kids wouldn't eat pigs in a blanket until I made these. The bread is so soft & yummy!!! Definitely a keeper!
Oct 31, 2011
"I make this every year on Halloween, its our "mummy dog" recipe. Soooooo yummy!!! This year I think I might try a tiny bit of chili in some of them.
Jan 23, 2011
A brilliant recipe, especially if you are used to eat the store bought pre made pigs in a blanked. The recipe is extremely easy but wonderfully tasty and exiting! It's like a pre-made hot-dog in a bun!!!!!!
Sep 8, 2010
This is the only way I'll eat hot dogs. My whole family gives this recipe a huge two-thumbs up. You can't go wrong with this recipe!!!!!!!!!! :)
Jun 29, 2010
My own kids, tots to teens, love this recipe - and I've used it to provide a fun dinner for families with new babies. Worth the effort!