Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 5 teaspoons water
- Pastel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. butterfly or flower cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder; stir in water until smooth. Divide among small bowls; tint pastel colors. Spread over cookies; let stand until set.
Wilton-Meringue PowderMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
1 cookie: 82 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.